Here at Alexander's, one of our more popular events is our monthly "Celebrity Chef Night". Each month, a small group of local residents become our "celebrities" for a night. The celebrities team up with our energetic chefs to create a dish that is special to each group.
Be sure to like us on Facebook to keep updated on our next event!
Katie and Maggie Roche
On Thursday, December 21st, Findley Lake kicked off the holiday weekend a little early. Katie and Maggie Roche helped prepare a dish that featured mussels with white wine over pasta.
The Roche's have been some of the biggest supporters of Alexander's since our opening, and the fact that they were willing to supply the recipe for this dish was greatly appreciated.
If you are interested in making this dish yourself, feel free to use the recipe listed below.
Mussels over Linguine
2 pounds mussels, rinsed
1 pound whole wheat linguine
3/4 cup white wine
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Rinse the mussels and remove beards if necessary, discard any that do not fully close when rinsing (these are dead).
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt, and cook linguine until al dente.
3. Meanwhile, with linguine still boiling, combine all remaining ingredients (except for the cream and parmesan cheese) in a large covered saucepan on medium-high heat.
4. Cover and simmer mussels in the white wine sauce until fully cooked and shells open up, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir sauce and mussels to coat in sauce.
6. When linguine is finished, strain and stir into the mussels and white wine sauce. Now add cream and Parmesan cheese. Simmer for 5-7 minutes while covered, stirring occasionally until the sauce slightly thickens.
7. Serve topped with a pinch of fresh basil, parmesan cheese, and 6-7 mussels.